Join Our Team
Paid Phonebanker (Remote)
Job Type: Part-Time, Hourly, Contractor
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Location: Fully remote, with a preference for Pennsylvania
Salary: Hourly rate: $16.50/hour
Benefits: This is a contract position. API PA will provide technology supports to all staff.
Who we are: The Asian Pacific Islander Political Alliance’s (API PA) mission is to build long-term power for Asians and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania, by coordinating political, electoral, and legislative work to hold our elected officials accountable, engaging in culturally competent and linguistically accessible direct voter contact with our communities, and building solidarity with other aligned communities of color across the state.
We operate primarily in South Asian, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese communities, and are the first and only political organization directly advocating for the needs of Asian and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania. We won’t stop until our people have political power and our communities have everything we need to be safe, healthy, and strong – and we’re excited to work with you to make that happen.
API PA is looking for individuals to participate in educating Asian and Pacific Islander voters in Pennsylvania about the importance of voting by mail in the 2020 election and/or the importance of voting for candidates who will stand with and fight for our communities. API PA will provide coordination, management, training, and materials. Due to COVID-19, all work will be virtual/remote (from home) for the foreseeable future; employees will need regular access to a cell phone, a laptop or tablet, and a fast, stable internet connection.
This is a temporary position, to be filled on a rolling basis, for a program running until November 3rd.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Phone banking: Using provided predictive dialer technology, calling community members to provide voter education and information and encourage community members to vote
- Text Banking: Using provided peer to peer mass texting technology, texting community members to provide voter education and information and encourage community members to vote
- Tracking conversations in the phonebanking and textbanking platforms provided
- Participating in phonebanking training and debriefing sessions
- Participating in organization-wide meetings (virtually) and events as directed by supervisor
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Experience using technology for phonebanking, other voter contact, call centers, or sales preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of and experience working with Asian American communities preferred
- Conversational fluency in an Asian language is highly desirable, including but not limited to Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Hindi, Punjabi, Nepali, Khmer, Hmong, Lao, Indonesian, Burmese, and Tamil
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff
- Understanding of and commitment to API PA’s values and political program, or a strong willingness to learn
- Access to a cell phone, a laptop or tablet, and a consistent internet connection required
- Please note: only applicants 18 years or older will be considered. Younger applicants are encouraged to reach out about volunteer opportunities instead.
Hours: Phonebank shifts run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 1-7pm EST. We require phonebankers to work 12-18 hours per week, though there is some flexibility; preference is given to applicants who are able to complete 2 or 3 full shifts. Individuals who are interested in participating in building political power for Asians and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania and learning the skills of phonebanking but are unable to commit the time required for a paid position are encouraged to volunteer.
These positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. API PA is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Copyright 2020 API PA