Join Our Team
Job Type: Part-Time, Hourly, Contractor
Reports to: Canvass Manager
Location: Greater Philadelphia area, with ability to travel to/around South Philadelphia or Upper Darby
Timeline: Late September – Late November
Who we are: The Asian Pacific Islander Political Alliance’s (API PA) mission is to build long-term power for APIs in Pennsylvania, by coordinating political, electoral, and legislative work to hold our elected officials accountable, engaging in culturally competent and linguistically accessible direct voter contact with our communities, and building solidarity with other aligned communities of color across the state.
We operate primarily in South Asian, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese communities, and are the first and only political organization directly advocating for the needs of Asian and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania. We won’t stop until our people have political power and our communities have everything we need to be safe, healthy, and strong – and we’re excited to work with you to make that happen.
API PA will soon launch a research and listening door to door canvass program in the Greater Philadelphia area, to learn more of voters’ perceptions of politics and elections in advance of the 2022 election cycle. We are seeking passionate, engaged individuals with good listening and communication skills to speak to voters at the door in South Philadelphia and/or Upper Darby, with an emphasis on Asian Pacific Islander voters. API PA will provide coordination, management, training, and materials, including PPE. Canvassers will need regular access to a cell phone and some form of transportation that allows them to travel to and/or around South Philadelphia, Upper Darby, or both.
Individuals who are interested in participating in building political power for Asians and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania and learning the skills of canvassing but are unable to commit the time required for a paid position are encouraged to volunteer.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Door to Door Canvassing: Using provided technology (the MiniVAN Canvassing app), engage in (masked) face-to-face conversations with voters in target geography
- Tracking conversations in the canvassing platform provided
- Participating in canvassing training and debriefing sessions
- Participating in organization-wide meetings (virtually) and events as directed by supervisor
- Other duties as necessary
- Energetic and physically able to walk up to 2.5 miles during each work shift.
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and persuasive personality willing to talk to strangers about voting; Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Responsible and able to work independently
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Prior canvassing or equivalent experience (sales, door to door marketing, phonebanking, call centers, etc) appreciated, but not required
- Some tech literacy, specifically knowing how to use cell phones and tablets, Google maps, and data entry using an app, is necessary for this position
- Personal knowledge of and/or experience working with Asian American communities required
- Conversational fluency in an Asian language is highly desirable, including but not limited to Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, Nepali, Khmer, Lao, Indonesian, and Burmese; conversational fluency in English is required
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff
- Understanding of and commitment to API PA’s values, or a strong willingness to learn
- Access to a cell phone and some form of transportation is required
Hours: This position ranges from 12-40 hours per week, for shifts for 6 hours at a time (hours amount is based on canvasser’s schedule). Must be flexible to work some weekends. This is a temporary position, to be filled on a rolling basis, for a program running from late September 2021 through late November 2021
Salary: Hourly rate: $15-$20/hour commensurate with skills and experience
The position will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. API PA is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Please fill out this online application.
Copyright 2020 API PA