Join Our Team
Digital Organizer (full-time)
Location: Pennsylvania (With a slight preference for Philadelphia or the Philadelphia Suburbs)
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $45,000-$50,000, based on experience with a comprehensive benefits package
Start Date: By January 15th, 2021
The Digital Organizer is a full-time non-exempt position.
The position will be remote until we reach a point in the COVID-19 emergency when best practices allow for in-person contact, and at that point may require some travel throughout Pennsylvania.
Who we are: The Asian Pacific Islander Political Alliance’s (API PA) mission is to build long-term power for APIs in Pennsylvania, by coordinating political, electoral, and legislative work to hold our elected officials accountable, engaging in culturally competent and linguistically accessible direct voter contact with our communities, and building solidarity with other aligned communities of color across the state.
We operate primarily in South Asian, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese communities, and are the first and only political organization directly advocating for the needs of Asian and Pacific Islanders in Pennsylvania. We won’t stop until our people have political power and our communities have everything we need to be safe, healthy, and strong – and we’re excited to work with you to make that happen.
Digital Organizer: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Digital Organizer will coordinate and implement API PA’s digital and communications strategies in support of its basebuilding and electoral work to build power in and for Asian communities in Pennsylvania, with an emphasis on Southeastern PA, the Lehigh Valley, and Central PA. The ideal person in this role is a flexible, creative go-getter who can equally take initiative on and own projects and work in a collaborative team environment, and has experience in the following aspects of digital media strategy: digital or traditional media copywriting, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) management, email engagement program development and implementation, and beginner-to-intermediate level website maintenance. This role will work closely with API PA’s field/organizing and communications teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build our base of supporters through email engagement, organic social media, texting, and other digital tools.
- Craft engaging social media posts, cultivate community within Facebook groups, and explore how new social media platforms and features (FB messenger, Instagram, etc) can be used for organizing. Have an idea for volunteer recruitment over Tiktok? Let’s talk!
- Create compelling graphics and videos for social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc.
- Test, set up, and train staff/supporters to use texting, relational organizing, online advocacy, and other software tools for organizing.
- Manage data and tracking systems in collaboration with the field/organizing team.
- Work with our communications team to help supporters share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling trainings, etc.
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to other organizers and community members, helping them use technology and online outreach to further organizing goals.
- Perform other duties as required to support the work of the organization as a whole, including but not limited to website edits and press outreach.
- There is no formal education requirement for this position. Ideal candidates will have at least 2 years of community, issue, or electoral organizing experience and 1 year of digital experience (or equivalent).
- You understand the fundamentals of organizing, the difference between organizing and mobilization, and deeply believe your job is to help people step into leadership and drive change in the issues that affect their lives.
- You’ve likely used (or been wanting to try out) a number of these tools: CRMs (VAN, EveryAction), texting (Hustle, ThruText, Strive, Spoke), relational organizing (OutreachCircle, Reach, Team, Empower), online advocacy (New/Mode, Phone2Action, EveryAction again), story collection (Soapboxx, Flipgrid), social media (Facebook, Twitter, IG), and WordPress website platform.
- You get best practices of how to engage, organize, and mobilize people via emails and how online engagement can drive in-person (when COVID-safe) engagement, and have developed or helped implement at a high level email campaigns, including copywriting, formatting, and targeting.
- You can maintain or are excited to quickly deep dive into learning our database (The VAN + EveryAction) to track supporters, volunteers, and events, and use data to identify strategic ways to engage supporters; you ensure quality and timely data entry, management and reporting.
- You have experience with Excel and Google Sheets, and can build data tracking systems that keep organizing programs moving — and make sense to organizers.
- You can keep projects moving, pay attention to detail, make sure things don’t slip through the cracks, and meet deadlines.
- You are excited to and can build intentional relationships with Asian organizations and leaders who can support cross-collaboration efforts with API PA, especially adding capacity to their digital and communications work.
- You get that ultimately, organizing is about building connections and relationships. You believe that technology should be in service of organizing, not the other way around, and you have demonstrated ability to think on your feet and grow quickly in your role, including the ability to adapt to new technology and platforms.
- You have experience operating in and/or organizing Asian communities and a commitment to the mission and values of API PA.
Preferred, not required:
- Experience with content creation (graphics for websites and social media or videos for social media using Adobe Creative Suite or similar tools)
- Some experience with Facebook ad campaigns and/or other paid digital programs
- Conversational grasp of at least one Asian language & familiarity with the dynamics of Asian communities in Pennsylvania
- Experience with and knowledge of Pennsylvania’s political terrain
- A resume
- A cover letter
- A bullet-point list of your relevant experience and skills, including paid and unpaid labor and life experience
- A statement describing why you wish to work for API PA, what makes you the ideal candidate for this position, and what building Asian Pacific Islander political power means to you.
The position will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. API PA is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Copyright 2020 API PA